Wednesday, January 20, 2010

SAUSAGE SKEWERS

Good Heavens.  How much rain can the earth absorb?  Hard rain all day today.  It has finally stopped.  By the weekend it should all be over and we will be back to a state of warm sunshine. All my bark dressing in my front walkway has been washed away out to the street.  Swept it all back this morning and now it is all out to the street again.  Oh Summer, I'm calling you, get here soon.

Time to talk Football Food.  With the playoffs Sunday and the Super Bowl around the corner I thought I would give you a good halftime snack to serve.  My Grandmother used to make this and serve it up on a platter all together.  I decided it would be great on a skewer.  So this is how I am going to make it for our Super Bowl get together.  I have made it this way before to the delight of all my guests and family.  It really is a taste treat.

SAUSAGE SKEWERS

4 or 5 Mild or Hot Italian Sausages. (your choice)
Polenta
1 Green Pepper and 1 Red Pepper (for color)
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese

Cook the sausages in a little olive oil in a skillet until browned and cooked through. Remove from the pan and cook the pepper pieces just until slightly tender. Make the polenta.  Add 1 tablespoon of butter and 1/4 cup of Parmesan to the polenta. Pour out on cookie sheet to about 1/2" thick.  Cut the peppers into square pieces. Cut the sausages into 1" pieces.  When the polenta is cooled cut into cubes.  Starting with a piece of sausage put it onto a wooden skewer.  Then a piece of polenta, then a pepper.  Repeat two more times ending with a piece of sausage.  Put all on a cookie sheet and bake in a 450 degree oven for about 5 minutes.  In the meantime, put 1/2 cup of Balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan.  Cook over low heat until reduced by half.  It will be like a light syrup.  Remove the skewers from the oven and drizzle the vinegar over the top.  Serve hot.

Trust me, once you make these, you will make them again and again.  They are awesome!

Thanks for stopping in today.  One more day until the weekend.  Yea!

Ciao
Grayce

1 comment: