Thursday, June 24, 2010

GRAYCE'S KEY LIME PIE

Good morning.  Welcome to new members, Laurie and Kelly.  Laurie's daughter plays softball with Kate, and Kelly is an old friend that I have know since she was in High School with my son.  Thanks for joining my blog.

I got a lot of comments yesterday on the Granola.  You all must try it soon, it is amazing!

Today I have a great refreshing pie and one of my favorites.  Easy and yummy.

GRAYCE'S KEY LIME PIE

1 pkg gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
4 egg yolks
7/8 cup of sugar
1 pint heavy cream
1/4 key lime juice
4 egg whites 7/8 cups of sugar 1/2 tsp cream of tartar or HOME MADE WHIPPED CREAM

Dissolve the gelatin in the water.  Put over low heat and let come to a boil.  Beat 4 egg yolks and add the sugar.  Pour the gelatin over egg mixture and mix.  Whip the cream, add the lime juice and fold into the egg mixture.  Set aside for about 15 minutes to thicken.  Pour into a baked pie shell.  Whip the egg whites and slowly add 1/2 tsp cream of tartar, add 6 tablespoons of sugar.  Whip until stiff.  Top the pie and bake in a 375 degree oven just until the egg whites are golden brown.  When cool refrigerate.

Of course, when I make this pie, it's not egg whites for us.  When the pie is cool, refrigerate and when ready to serve, top with home made whipped cream.  Now that's a pie.  Choose your topping, but I bet you will opt for the whipped cream :)

No comments:

Post a Comment