Wednesday, September 16, 2009

APPLE TART

Hi everyone.  Welcome in again today.  It is really great that so many of you are trying these recipes.  They really are luscious.  Speaking of that, can I just say how much of the Shepherd's Pie was eaten last night!  But even so, there is enough left for two.  So guess what's for dinner?  Right, and let me tell you it will taste even better tonight.  It's just one of those things. So now after that I will be ready for a little dessert.  And I know just the thing.  Not too heavy, but really satisfying.  Apples are starting to come into season now and so this calls for a little apple dessert.  This is simple and can be made in very little time with little effort.

Make your usual pie crust for a single crust or buy the Pillsbury one that you just unroll and bake.  They are really terrific for this.
Slice 3 Granny Smith apples very thin.  Use a mandoline or if you are really good at it, a knife.  They must be very thin.
Arrange on the pie crust in a circle in layers.  Leave about 2" around the edges.  Then fold the edges up and crimp leaving the apples exposed.  Sprinkle with 3 or 4 tablespoons of sugar and dot with butter.  Brush the crust with a little milk and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat.  Bake @400 degrees.
Bake 35 minutes or until crust is nicely browned.

Remove from oven.  When cooled but still warm, slice into pieces, and drizzle lightly with warm carmel sauce.  (if you really want to be bad, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream)

That should just about top off the left over Shepherd's Pie. :)

That my friends is it for today.  This is a cinch to make.  You can make it on the spur of the moment when unexpected guests show up.

'Till tomorrow.
Ciao for now
Grayce

4 comments:

  1. Would you recommend the Pillsbury store crust over the Marie Calander? I have never used the Pillsbury......Am I missing something or there is not much difference??

    Thanks, Grayce....this is a keeper

    ReplyDelete
  2. One scoop of vanilla ice cream does not make you bad, two scoops makes you bad...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen a Marie Callendar crust. I use the Pillsbury. Just unroll and bake.. They are really great. In the section with the biscuits and things. Thanks for reading and for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this but after I sliced the apples, I mixed them with the sugar and added a little cinnamon and nutmeg.....just enough to make the apple not taste bland. This was wonderful. Warm with the carmel sauce. Six people can have a small piece which is plenty. I put this with my "use often" desserts.

    ReplyDelete