Tuesday, September 22, 2009

HAWAIIAN CHICKEN

Good morning everyone.  Boy is it hot!  Not even seven and you can feel a scorcher coming on.  Every year at this time, just when the kids go back to school, the heat comes rushing into California hotter than ever.  Luckily, the schools are air conditioned or they would probably have to have some days off.  Speaking of school days, when my kids were in school, any time there was a need for cookies, cakes, cupcakes etc.  It was always my kids who raised their hands and said, "my Mom will bake."  That was because I was always always baking something, bread, cookies you name it.  And always cooking in general.  In fact one time when the teacher asked who could bring cupcakes, one of my son Ed's friend raised his hand and said, "Ed's Mom will."  Anyway when Ed was in 5th grade his class was going to celebrate the end of the school year down at the beach.  (it was only about 15 minutes away in Corona del Mar.)  So this time I did the volunteering.  I would make Hawaiian Chicken for 40 people.  Good grief, learn to keep your mouth shut girl!  Just kidding.  I loved to do it.  It was a huge success, and to this day it is one of the family favorites.  So today I give you Hawaiian Chicken.  So yummy.

1 whole chicken cut up, or 4 breast (with skin) or legs and breasts, whatever combo you like
Put 1/4 cup of olive oil into a dutch oven , dredge the chicken in flour and brown the chicken on all sides.  Remove from the pot , and add 1 1/2 cups of orange juice, 1 bottle of Heinz chile sauce, and 1/4 cup of dark molasses.  Cut one green pepper into chunks and add to the sauce.  Simmer for about 5 minutes.  Lightly salt and pepper the chicken pieces and add to the mixture.  Cover and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 2 hours until the sauce is bubbling and has thickened.  Five minutes before taking it out of the oven add 1 can of drained pineapple pieces.  Serve over rice.  Believe me, your family will ask you to make this often.  I still make it for mine.

Have a great day.  Thanks again for stopping by.
Ciao
Grayce

3 comments:

  1. One of my all-time favorites, the best chicken ever. It's so good that I have personally seen chickens walk over to Grayce's place with little flower leis around their necks, saying, "take me, take me".

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol George!

    Thank you Gracye for inspiring me to be a better cook :) sometimes home life is truly hectic that it's hard to even think of dinner ideas. I appreciate all your efforts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so welcome. I try to give recipes that are nutritious, delicious and don't take a lot of time. Thanks again for your comments.

    ReplyDelete