Tuesday, September 1, 2009

SIMPLE PASTA WITH PEAS, BROCCOLINI ETC

Probably everyone who has seen Julie and Julia thinks, I should write a blog about cooking.  That;s exactly what I did.  And all of my family and friends (who have partaken of my food) have encouraged me to do it.  So here it is, Grayce's Cucina Italiana.  The name comes, of course, because I come from a large Italian Family.  Most of whom were great cooks in their own right.  Both of my parents were marvelous cooks.  My Mom in the style of Rome and My Father in the Northern Tuscan style.  As a result my family has enjoyed some of the most delicious meals imaginable.  I hope to share some of them with you.
Cooking does not need to be a tedious chore.  And really wonderful, and healthy meals can be made with a few ingredients and in a short time.  If you have ever been to Italy you will notice that there are very few overweight Italians.  That's because meals always consist of an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables and a lot of fish.  I am probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but sometimes it easy to just heat up some pre-packaged dinner instead of starting from scratch.  That is what makes Americans fat.


Here is a sample of a quick healthy dinner, inexpensive, and delicious.
Always use a good olive oil
You can use one of the new varieties of whole wheat pasta
Choose a green vegetable such as Broccolini, Peas, Asparagus, etc
Garlic
Some little cherry tomatoes added at the last minute

Saute the veggies in garlic and olive oil just till crisp
Cook paste Al Dente, drain add to veggies, cook for 1 minute
Serve with a salad and crispy Italian bread (a glass of red wine) for the adults

I could eat this every night, it is just plain wonderful and done in less than 20 minutes.  Your whole family will love it a lot better than some frozen, artificial ingredient loaded whatever.

Try it.  I guarantee you will make it often!
Ciao for now
Grayce

9 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. Try this with the low carb wheat pasta....only 5 grams of carbs....its wonderful and you get your veggies along with keeping the low carb lifestyle. Keep the good ideas coming, Grayce....my very talented sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you The wheat pasta is surprisingly good

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should post the recipe for the Portabella Pasta dish with the goat cheese. That is such a good one and should be shared. Great for company or for family. Yummy....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Linda (Chipitasgirl), I have a great recipie for a horse meat burger, are you interested?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey geoklass, she isn't the only cook in the family, just the "younger" one....I remember a dog that you would have been happy to eat....then there was the pig.....don't even go to horses.....Is this a challenge???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful.. I will make it with multi-grain pasta.. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan
    You will love it. Try to always use Barilla pasta it is the best

    ReplyDelete
  8. What can you use to substitute for the Grappa? I am sure I would only need it for this recipe and would like to change that one element and try this version of an all time favorite

    ReplyDelete