Thursday, September 3, 2009

AUTHENTIC TIRAMISU

Good Morning.  Here it is the third day of my blog and the response has been really gratifying.  Many of you have already tried the first two recipes.
One of my friends asked that I post all of my recipes, and Sabrina specifically said to be sure and share some of my dessert recipes.  So today I give you our family recipe for Tiramisu (pick me up).
Tiramisu is one of those recipes that seems to have come out of nowhere.  The first known was in 1971 and proclaimed, I believe, by a Greek couple.  (But Tiramisu is an Italian word).  Others claim it surfaced in 1983.  All I know is that my Uncle Pete, from Piedmont, Italy, made of version of it years before. He had a name for it but I can't really remember what it was.  He was an amazing pastry chef.  He made unbelievable, mouth watering desserts.  He worked at the Willard Hotel in Washington, D. C. and often made pastries for White House Functions.  I have a recipe for this delectable offering.  I have had it for years and I really can't remember where I got it.  But I do know that it makes one of the best Tiramisu's ever.
Now the original Tiramisu calls for egg yolks.  If you are skiddish about using raw egg yolks in this day and age, you can leave them out and you will still have a wonderful dessert.
So here it is:
It is called "Authentic Tiramisu"
6 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups mascarpone cheese
1 3/4 whipping cream whipped stiff
1 3/4 cups cold espresso
1 1/2 tablespoons brandy
2 tablespoons grappa
48 Ladyfingers (not the soft ones from the market the crunchy ones from the Italian store)
Powdered chocolate for the top

In a bowl cream egg yolks and sugar.  Add the mascarpone and mix well.  Fold into the whipped cream.
In another bowl combine espresso, brandy, and grappa (you can leave out the grappa if you don't have any)
Dip the lady fingers in the mixture and arrange in a single layer in 10x15 baking dish.  Cover with half the mascarpone.
Repeat with another layer of Ladyfingers, cover with remaining mascarpone mixture.  Sprinkle top with powdered chocolate.  Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or even overnight.

It is an easy recipe but so yummy and impressive.  If you don't use the egg yolks use 2 cups of whipping cream.

Try it soon, and remember, as good friends Fred and Gayle always say, even if you are full, DESSERT ALWAYS MAKES IT'S OWN ROOM!"

Ciao for now.  Tomorrow, a tasty treat you can linger over on one of the last mornings of summer.
Grayce

6 comments:

  1. What can you use instead of Grappa? I wouldn't mind trying this recipe but don't want to buy that......any suggestions??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have it any more either so I just leave it out. It's one of those things that you really don't need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent recipe's and great to see you sharing them. We tasted some goodies this weekend! Very nice site

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Grayce's
    Congratulation for this beautiful web site. Thank you for giving us your recipies, I would like to know if you have the recipe for Spaghetti Bolognese thank you very much .Consuelo

    ReplyDelete