Monday, February 1, 2010

COCONUT SHRIMP

Whew!  What a weekend!  We celebrated my Grandsons 16th Birthday on Saturday.  So you know what that means, food!  As I told you on Friday he requested Tri Tip so we had that and roasted veggies, Roman Salad, Ceasar Salad, Fruit Platter and two Lemon Cakes and Ice Cream.  But, for an appetizer I made Coconut Shrimp.  Can I just say that everyone swarmed over them like Locusts (including me).  They were so amazing.  Lucky I made about 50 of them.  My daughter, Linda said, "you have to post that recipe on Monday".  So that is what I am doing.  I must apologize to whom ever wrote this particular recipe.  I have had it for years.  I got it from a friend and it was just the recipe with no name of the creator on it.  Anyway it is a good one.  Try it for your Super Bowl Party this weekend.

COCONUT SHRIMP

40 or so extra large or jumbo shrimp
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
about 2/3 can of beer
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Mix these ingredients to make a batter.  Not too thin and not to thick.  Like a cake batter.

1/2 cup flour
1 large pkg of flaked coconut
40 shrimp
4 cups vegetable oil

Dip the shrimp in the flour and shake off the excess.  Then dip into the batter and shake off.  Put into the coconut and press down on all sides so the coconut sticks.  Put onto a parchment lined platter or cookie sheet and refrigerate for about 20 minutes to a 1/2 hour.  Put the oil into a deep skillet and when hot, drop the shrimp, about 5 or 6 at a time into the oil.  Cook for about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, just until the coconut is nicely browned.  Remove and drain on a paper towel.  Serve with Marmalade.   I put 1 cup of marmalade and 1 tsp of hot mustard or 1 tsp of  creamy horseradish mixed in.  Yummy!

I hope you try this soon.

Ciao
Grayce

No comments:

Post a Comment