Wednesday, February 3, 2010

OATMEAL CAKE

Hi everyone.  I'm in Dessert overdrive this week, I guess because of the Super Bowl.  It brings all kinds of recipes rushing around in my head, especially ones for a good dessert to feed a crowd.  When we lived in Rochester, New York, every Friday and Saturday night and sometimes Sunday afternoon, were spent at the Stock Car Races.  We had a friend who drove for our local Ford Dealer, (where we all bought our cars) and so during the racing season that was the weekend fun for our group of friends.  The big race at the end of the season was at Langhorne, Pa.  That track was later replaced by the Pocono Track.  If you are not Stock Car fans you probably don't know what I am talking about, but the main thing is, a lot of recipes for food got traded around.  Today's recipe is one that I got from Martha.  The first time she brought it to the weekend Race at Langhorne, I knew I had to have the recipe.  It is the best.  It is the perfect cake for this weekend.  I hope you will try it for your party.

OATMEAL CAKE

1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup quick oatmeal
Stir and let set

Cream:
1/2 cup Crisco
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
Add  oatmeal mixture.
Beat in 2 eggs (beat well) .  Mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon,  add to mixture and mix well.  Add 1 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup chopped pecans.

Spread into a 13x9x2 cake pan. ( greased and floured)  Bake at 350 degrees until done, about 35 to 40 minutes.  As soon as cake comes out of the oven top with this mixture:

3/4 cup melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut
1 cup pecans
1 tsp vanilla

Yummy!  This is so good, I am definitely making it this weekend.

Thanks for stopping in today
Ciao
Grayce

No comments:

Post a Comment