Monday, February 22, 2010

LADY BALTIMORE CAKE

Today is a very emotional day for me.  It is my Mother's Birthday.  She died at 90 years old a couple of years ago just after her 90th birthday.  I miss her so much.  I still cry every time I think about her, which is most of the time.  She was the most important person in my life.  I am what I am because of her.  She was the kindest, most honest, most loving person I have ever know.  Even though she lived in Oregon with my sister, I talked with her everyday.  Some days when my sister was not at home, she called me two or three times a day, or I called her.  Just saying hello.  I would give all that I have to have just 5 more minutes with her.  I loved her so much.  Don't ever be too busy to call your parents as often as possible.  When they are gone you will wish you could speak with them one more time.

Anyway, one of my Mother's favorite cakes, was one she called, Lady Baltimore Cake.  I think it may have been from Betty Crocker.  I have it written down from my Mom but she probably got it from the Betty Crocker cook book that she had for years and years.  So today, in her honor here is the recipe.

LADY BALTIMORE CAKE

2 9" layers grease and flour the pans
Cream until fluffy 1/2 cup shortening and 1/2 cup butter and 2 cups of sugar
Sift together 3 cups sifted SOFTASILK flour, 4 tsp baking powder 1 tsp salt
stir in alternately with 1 1/2 cups thin milk (1/2 water)
2 tsp vanilla
Fold in 6 egg whites stiffly beaten

Pour into prepared pans and bake until cake tests done. (350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes) just until done.  Do not over bake.

Frost with fluffy cooked frosting,
Mix together and boil to 242 degrees
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 cup water
Pour slowly, beating constantly over 3 stiffly beaten egg whites, add 1 tsp vanilla.
Frost cake and sprinkle top and sides with coconut.

It is a moist and delicious cake.  Try it for your next special occasion.

Thanks for stopping in today
Ciao
Grayce

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story...I will bake this cake for a dear friend who just passed on...Thanks for sharing this today I needed it...XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks always for your wonderful comments Judi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that my daughter and/or son will be able to say those kind words about me someday :) you're a sweetheart, so sorry for your loss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you I'm sure they will, you are a sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete