Friday, April 16, 2010

GRAFICO A TORTA ITALIANO DEGLI SPINACHI E DELLA SALSICCIA (ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND SPINACH PIE)

Welcome to finally "it's Friday".  This just seemed like a long week to me.  I am getting ready for Company on Sunday so I will be cooking some of my best recipes.  I hope they will enjoy eating them as much I will enjoy making them.

Looks a little gloomy today and they are forecasting rain.  Again on the weekend.  Hopefully, Sunday will have some sunshine.

Today I have another recipe from my sister Linda.  An Italian pie.  It is perfect for a day like today or tomorrow.  Real comfort food.  I know you will enjoy this one as much as I have.

ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND SPINACH PIE
"Grafico a Torta Italiano degli Spinachi e della Salsiccia"

1 lb of bulk Italian sausage (sweet or hot or 1/2 and 1/2)
1 med onion chopped
6 eggs beaten
2 pkgs of frozen chopped spinach
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp black pepper
Salt to taste

Pastry for a 2 crust pie.  Home made or store bought.

In a heavy skillet brown the sausage and onion until the sausage is done and onion is tender.  Drain. Separate one egg and set the yolk aside.  In a mixing bowl, beat the remaining eggs including the extra white.  Stir in all the other ingredients.  This will fill a 9" pie plate and a 10" is even better.  Make sure to defrost store bought crusts.  Pour mixture into pie crust, put second crust on top and be sure to seal the edges.  In a small bowl whip the extra egg yolk and 1 tsp of water and brush the crust to make a shiny, crisp top when the pie is done baking. Make a small slit on top to let out the steam.  Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes or until golden brown.  Let stand for 10 minutes before you serve so it has a chance to set.

Serve with a nice salad and hot crusty bread.  Thanks Linda for another great recipe!

Thanks for stopping in today have a great weekend.
Ciao
Grayce

No comments:

Post a Comment