Thursday, April 1, 2010

ITALIAN EASTER BREAD

Hi everyone.  This will be the last post until Monday.  Today I bring you an old family recipe for Italian Easter Bread.  My Grandmother made it every Easter, my Mom made it every Easter, and I have made it every Easter.  I can't imagine Easter morning without this bread.  Since I will be at my daughter's house this Easter I will make it there for all of us.  You can use any bread recipe you like just add the almonds, fruit and anise seed.  Also the colored eggs.  If you don't make your own bread get Frozen bread at the market and you can use that.

ITALIAN EASTER BREAD

About 3 to 3 1/2 cups of flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 pkg dry yeast
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup warm milk
2 tablespoons really soft butter
7 or 8 eggs
1/3 cups of slivered almonds
1 tsp anise seed
3/4 cup of mixed diced dried fruit.  I use raisins and cut up dried apricots.  Sometimes just the raisins.  And sometimes 1/2 cup mixed candied fruit.  My Grandmother used just raisins, almonds and anise seed so I almost always make it like that.

In a large bowl add 1 cup of flour, the sugar, yeast and salt.  Add warm milk and butter and beat for a few minutes.  Add about 1/2 cup flour and 2 eggs and beat on high for about 3 minutes.  Add the fruit, nuts and anise seed.  Mix together well.  Add enough flour to make a soft dough.

Turn it out on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic and shiny.  This will take about 8 to 10 minutes.  Lightly grease a large bowl with a little olive oil.  Place the ball of dough into the bowl and turn once or twice then cover with a clean dish towel and place in a warm spot to let it rise until doubled.  About an hour or a little more.

Color the remaining 6 or 7 eggs (do not cook).  When the are dry rub with a little olive oil.  When the dough is doubled punch it down and divide in half.  Roll each piece into a rope.  Loosely twist the rope and form into a circle.  Add the eggs into the openings.  (do this on your parchment lined cookie sheet).  Cover with the towel and let rise until doubled.  This will take around 30 minutes.  Brush the dough lightly with melted butter and bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes.  Remove from oven and put on a cooling rack.  When cool, make a mixture of powdered sugar and water and 1/8 tsp almond extract.  Frost the bread with this mixture.

I hope you make this for your family.  I can't imagine Easter without having this special Italian Treat!

Thanks for stopping in today.  Have a great weekend.  PASQUA FELICE!
Ciao
Grayce

No comments:

Post a Comment