Monday, May 24, 2010

PRUNE CAKE (OR PLUM)

No blog today.  I am in mourning.  Not really, I have a recipe for you but I am in mourning.  The Yankees lost again and the Lakers did a nose dive.  Yikes.  What a bad day at Bedrock.  I don't want too many of those days to be happening.  Anyway, to salve the wounds of all you sports fans, how about a little dessert today?  Something sweet to take away the bitter taste of defeat!  You can tell I am a real sports fan.  Oh well, today is another day.

This is an old recipe that I have been making since the early 70's.  Always a welcome treat.  Now that fruit is plentiful it is a good time to start making it again.  I hope you try it. It can be doubled for larger cake.  (I always made double for my brood).  Use a larger cake pan.

PRUNE CAKE

1 cup cake flour sifted
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
4 tablespoons of sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tablespoons shortening (Crisco)
2 egg yolks
8 or 9 prunes, cut in half and pitted

Sift dry ingredients, cut in shortening.  Beat egg yolks, combine with milk, mix and beat well.  Mix into dry ingredients.  Pour into a greased 8x8 cake pan. Put prunes on top, cut side down to cover all.

Top with topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter (cold)
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
Mix together and crumble over top

Bake at 400 degrees for about 35 minutes

Thanks for stopping in today
Ciao
Grayce

2 comments:

  1. Good Morning
    Last night I made your Pasta with Radicchio and I will definately make it again.
    Thank you
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. It is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete