Friday, November 20, 2009

CANNOLI


AHHHH Friday.  I love that day!  Today I will be going to Los Angeles to take Kate and some friends to see NEW MOON.  We can hardly wait.  We have all read all four books and really look forward to the films.
My Sister Linda asked me to put this recipe up for her today and on Monday I have one of her specialties that I will be sharing with you.  I don't have this written down anywhere.  I just have been making them for years.  I got this recipe from my friend Ramona when I lived in Rochester, New York.  She gave me the recipe and the forms to make them. I was just in my early 20's at the time, with such a passion for cooking that I soaked up every recipe I could, like the proverbial sponge.  I have been making them ever since.  You can fill them with custard, which some of the family likes or the standard Ricotta filling which is awesome.  Last Wednesday, as I may have mentioned before, I made 40 of them to take to my class for the Teachers Birthday.  They were so good.  So here is the recipe.  Quite simple.

1 15 oz container of Ricotta (not the skim milk )
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tabls powdered sugar
1 tbls orange zest
1/2 tsp vanilla
12 Cannoli Shells

Put the Ricotta in a strainer and let the water drain for about 1/2 hour.  Place in a mixer and beat on medium for about 6 to 8 minutes.  In another bowl whip the cream till very thick, add the powdered sugar, orange zest and vanilla and blend.  Gently fold this mixture into the Ricotta.
You can buy plastic, disposable pastry bags at the market.  Or use a large zip loc bag.  Cut the tip, then fill the bag with the Ricotta mixture.  Fill the Cannoli first on one side then on the other. Fill them just before serving.  They will last after being fill for no more than an hour in the refrigerator.

Sprinkle with Powdered sugar.  For variation, you can dip the ends of the Cannoli in chocolate and then into ground nuts, or dip the ends after filling into mini chocolate chips.

I have not put the recipe for the Cannoli shells, because unless you have the forms you cannot make them.  You can purchase them ready made at your local Italian store.  If anyone has the forms and would like the recipe, just let me know and I will post it for you.

Have a Great Weekend
Ciao for now
Grayce

6 comments:

  1. Grayce.....
    I have the forms....or at least the one you make the roll out of with the pizelle recipe. Please pring this recipe....I think the pizelle is a little too much flavor for the delicate filling. I would appreciate a look at that recipe....much thanks and with love from my kitchen to yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have e mailed you the recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning,
    I would love the recipe, I do have a pizelle iron.
    Thank You
    Enjoy your weekend
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know that you can make them with a pizelle iron. I have round metal tubes.
    1 1/2 cups flour, 1 tbls sugar,2 tbls butter, 2 to 3 tbls Marsala wine, a couple of pinches of salt. Mix the flour, sugar and cut, cut in the butter till in coarse crumble. Add the wine. Roll in a smooth ball and refrigerate for about 15 to 20 minutes. Roll out into 5" rounds. Wrap the dough around the metal forms and seal with a little beaten egg whites. Fry in Wesson Corn oil or Canola oil till nicely browned.
    Drain and gently slide off of the tubes. Let cool and fill
    Thank you your comments Judi

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could probably make pizzeles and roll them into a tube and stuff. I make a ton of pizzeles at Christmas and sometimes roll them into a tube and fill them with ice cream for the kids. If you do that instead of Anise oil use the Marsala wine. I'm sure they would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, use your pizzele recipe this one won't work. This one has to be fried in the oil.

    ReplyDelete