Wednesday, November 4, 2009

CINNAMON ROLLS

Oh Yummy. CINNAMON ROLLS.  I wish I had one of these right now with a nice, hot cup of coffee.  Remember awhile back I told you that I make everything from scratch?  One of the family's favorite things were my Cinnamon Rolls.  I made them often.  I know most of you probably don't have a lot of time, but do take some time on a weekend or a day that is not so hectic and try these.  The thing about making anything you cook from "scratch", isn't just how wonderful it tastes or how good having fresh ingredients without those "unknowns" in your food, or the wonderful smells that are created, for me at least it is a kind of therapy.  It is the great feeling of satisfaction that I get.  I don't know how to explain it exactly, but you sort of become one with the dish you are making or the goodies you are baking.  You just get into a whole, neat world of your own and your creation.  And then there is the satisfaction of seeing everyone enjoying your delicious efforts.  The thing about these or any bread recipe, is that while the dough rises, you can be getting other things done in the mean time.

CINNAMON ROLLS

2 pkg dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup sweet cream butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
5 cups flour
cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
 Sprinkle yeast into the warm water and let it set until it is dissolved.  Heat milk and the butter in a small pan until the butter melts.  Pour into a large bowl.  Stir in the sugar, salt and the vanilla.  Cool until it is just lukewarm.  Add the yeast mixture.  Add eggs one at a time and beat until smooth.  Gradually mix in enough flour to make a soft dough.  Turn out onto a floured board.  Knead until smooth and shiny.  Place in a greased bowl.  Brush the top of the dough lightly with melted butter.  Cover with a clean kitchen towel. Keep in a warm place until it is doubled in size, about an hour and a half.  Divide the dough in half and knead just a little.  Roll each piece into a 10x12 " rectangle.  Brush liberally with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon, half of the brown sugar.  Roll up and cut in 3/4 inch slices.  Use 8 " or 9" rounds  or 11"x12" cake pans.  Into each pan put 4 tablespoons of butter and 2/3 cup of brown sugar,  put into the oven just to melt the butter, remove, stir and spread evenly over the bottom of the pans, then top with the cinnamon slices.  Cover and let these rise til double.  Bake for 30 minutes or until golden on top.  Bake at 350 degrees.

Once your family gets a whiff of these, and a taste of these, there will be no turning back.  They will beg you to make them again.

Thanks for stopping in today.
Ciao for now
Grayce

1 comment:

  1. I've decided that I need to get a laptop and keep it in my kitchen so I can easily make all of these yummy recipes :) thanks Grayce, you're awesome! oh, and I finally get Eric's "beet cake" username.... took me awhile, lol. i thought he spelled beef wrong.

    ReplyDelete