Monday, November 2, 2009

GALUMPKIS (STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS)

Welcome in for another day.  I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.  What a whirlwind!  Between Halloween, the Swim meet, Football games, and of course MY Yankees winning game three, I slept like the proverbial log.  I spent the weekend with my Daughter and her Hubby and kids.  What a great time!  Halloween party at Nancy's on Saturday, then up early Sunday to the swim meet.  Kate won her Freestyle heat by a mile and Christina was the overall point leader in her age group for the year.  Linda and Jody are happy the meets are over for the year and they can relax on Sunday for awhile with Football games.

I don't know about what happened at your house on Halloween night, but Kate and Christina and their friends garnered more candy than you can imagine.  The house looked like a candy store.  (Just a hint, if that happened at your house there are places that you can donate the candy to which is what my daughter and the girls do every year).  Anyway after all the sugar rush, here is a wonderful dinner for tonight (or any night) to get things back on track.  My Mom used to make these stuffed cabbage rolls and I always loved them.  I make them a lot even now.  They are always one of the wonderful comfort foods.

GALUMPKIS

Sauce:
1 quart of tomato sauce
1 clove of garlic minced
2 tbls of vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
salt and pepper
Put this over low heat and cook until it begins to thicken, about 10 minutes

Rolls:
1 lb ground beef , 1/2 lb ground pork
1/ 1/2 cups cooked rice
1 egg
1 onion chopped very fine (small onion)
1 clove of garlic chopped fine
mix all together well, add
salt and pepper and set aside

2 heads of cabbage (pick ones with really large leaves.)

In a large pot bring salted water to boil.  Remove any leaves of the cabbage that are not good.  Cut the core out of the cabbage and gently remove the large outer leaves being careful not to tear them.  Blanch the large leaves in the hot water for about 4 or 5 minutes or until they bend easily.  Remove them and put them in a bowl of cold water just for a minute.  Cut a little of the core so you can fold the leaves. Put about 1/2 cup of the filling mixture in the leaves, fold over sides and roll up, secure with a toothpick and put toothpick side down.  When all rolls are made set aside.  Cut remaining cabbage into pieces, in your deep fry pan saute the cabbage with garlic and olive oil until just tender.  Make a bed of this cabbage, put your cabbage rolls on top, pour the tomato sauce over the rolls, drizzle with a little olive oil.
Cover the pan or casserole and bake at 350 degrees for an hour to an hour and 1/2.  Until cabbage is tender and meat is cooked through.

Just writing this makes me hungry.  I think I will make them soon myself.  Try this recipe.  I know you will like it a lot as will your family.

Thanks for stopping in today
Ciao for now
Grayce

2 comments:

  1. You're right just reading this makes me hungry and I will try it later this week :)

    ReplyDelete