Tuesday, November 17, 2009

STUFFED SHELLS (TWO WAYS)

Hi everyone.  Today I have another family recipe for you.  I'm sure that at one time or another you have all had Stuffed Shells.  Well this recipe is how my Grandmother and my Mother used to make them and how my Sister Linda and I make them today.  One way is the traditional way stuffed with Ricotta filling.  The other is stuffed with a meat filling.  I have turned it into an interesting dish by combining the two.  Filling half the shells with the cheese mixture and half with the meat mixture.  That way everyone gets a little of both.  I think that you will like this combination.  I told my friend Daniela yesterday that my Grandmother always used to say.  "Chi mangia bene sta molto vicino a Dio."  Which means, Who eats well is very close to God.  My family must be very close to Him because they have always eaten well.  Through hard times and good times, the food was and is always amazing.  So eat well my friends.

STUFFED SHELLS

CHEESE FILLING

1 package of Jumbo Shells
1 15 oz container of Ricotta
Parmesan Cheese 1/4 cup
1 egg
salt, pepper
Italian flat leaf Parsley chopped very fine 1 tbls
1/2 tsp Nutmeg

MEAT FILLING

1/2 lb ground Beef
1 egg
1/4 cup Bread Crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan
1/2 pkg frozen Spinach well drained
2 cloves of garlic chopped fine
2 tbls finely chopped parsley
salt and pepper
1 small pkg Shredded Mozzarella

Your favorite marinara sauce

Cooked the shells as directed being careful not to break them up  (about 4 or 5 minutes) You want them Al Dente as they will cook in the oven the rest of the way.

In the meantime, Blend all the cheese ingredients to make a smooth mixture.  Set aside.  In a skillet, brown the ground beef until it is quite crumbly.  Let cool.  Combine the bread crumbs, parmesan and the spinach that you have squeezed all the water out of.  Add the egg.   Add the garlic and salt and pepper the parsley and mix all of this together with the ground beef.

Stuff half of the shells with the cheese mixture and half with the meat mixture.  Brush the sides of your baking dish with a little olive oil.  Then ladle some of your favorite sauce on the bottom.  Set your shells in the dish alternating, one cheese and one meat filled shell.  Top with your sauce and sprinkle with more parmesan and two or three handfuls of mozzarella.  Bake at 350 degrees for about  45 minutes or until bubbly and cooked through.

Serve with a nice tossed salad and hot crusty bread.  Don't forget a glass of Red Wine for the adults.

MANGIA!

See you tomorrow.
Ciao
Grayce

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Jeniffer. I have a great book of Breads that has what looks like a good bagel recipe. Let me know if you want it.

    ReplyDelete