Monday, November 16, 2009

SQUASH RAVIOLI

Hi, and Good Morning.  I am a little rushed this morning but I just had to tell you that I made my Squash Ravioli again yesterday and they were soooo good I had to put the recipe up for you today.  And how about that game last night, for all you football fans!!!  What a nail biter.  I'm not a fan of either team but I picked the Colts in my football pool.  Plus I really do not like the Patriots, ever!  I could not believe the last minute of that game.  I'm sure Brady and the Pats can't either.  I'll give it to Manning and the Colts, they never gave up.  Kudos to the whole team and the coaches.  A Stunning Victory.  Anyway back to what is really important.  Good food.  As with the Pumpkin Ravioli, you can buy your pasta or make your own.  I tried pasta from the specialty shop and it is good, but not as good as mine.  Also more expensive and a lot of waste.  I encourage you to make your own.

SQUASH RAVIOLI

1 large butternut squash
1 8oz container Ricottta
Parmesan or Romano cheese
nutmeg
Salt

Cut the squash, remove the seeds and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 mins to an hour until well done.  Remove from the oven scrape out of the shell and spread out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Put back into the oven and bake for another 8 minutes.  Put into a Cuisinart and blend till smooth. Put into a bowl and add 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 to 3/4 of the Ricotta depending on how much squash you have.  You want a very stiff mixture.  It will be soft but firm.  Add the Romano or Parmesan and mix well.
Dough.
1 egg and 1 egg yolk
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
water

Make a well in the flour, add eggs, salt and a little water, 1/2 cup.  Begin to mix together, adding water as needed.  Knead until the dough is elastic and shiny, wrap in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.  Cut off pieces, about 1/4 of the ball of dough and roll out.  Moisten the edges so it will seal tightly.  Put a heaping tsp full for each Ravioli.  Cover with another sheet of dough.  Press gently around each mound of filling to get all the air out, cut and put on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  When done, you can cook right away, or put in the freezer.  When frozen put into a plastic bag and cook when you want.  Makes about 24 large Ravioli.  When you are ready to cook them, melt 1 stick of butter in a large skillet.  Add 5 or 6 sage leaves (fresh).  Brown the butter. Drain the Ravioli and add to butter and sage.  Cook for about 1 minute.  Serve with the butter sauce.  The Ravioli will take about 7 or 8 minutes to cook in the boiling water.
You can also do the dough in the Cuisinart.  Just add the water till a ball forms, then remove and knead a little.

Well that is it.  They are so yummy, make them soon!
Have a wonderful day and a great week coming up.
Ciao
Grayce

3 comments:

  1. Grayce, would you use a brown butter sauce, white sauce or red marinara???? This sound delicate and delicious......maybe with that spinach salad, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brown butter. As I was checking the blog I realized I didn't have the brown butter sauce in there. You must have been commenting as I was adding it to the recipe. What a coinkidink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grayce made these for me yesterday, oh boy were they good.

    ReplyDelete