Monday, November 23, 2009

CHICKEN DIAVOLO

Only 3 more days until Thanksgiving.  I am doing all my grocery shopping today.  Pick up my fresh Turkey from Henry's tomorrow.  I love turkey day.  Plus I get to have most of my family here for a couple of days.  That is the best part.  Today I have a recipe that comes from my sister Linda (I only have one sister and no brothers).  She makes it all the time and it was one of my Dad's favorites.  As I said before in earlier blogs, both of my parents were great cooks.  If you like things spicy you will love this one.  The good thing is you can put as much or as little of the red pepper as you like.  So you can serve it to the whole family.  I know you all will love this recipe.

CHICKEN DIAVOLO

3 chicken legs and 3 thighs
1 can of S&W or any good Italian stewed tomatoes
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1/2 can chicken stock
3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 yellow onions finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp dried chili peppers
salt and pepper
olive oil and butter

Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet until hot.  Brown the chicken on all sides, remove from pan and add the onions.  Cook until translucent, add the garlic, saute.  Season with salt and pepper as you go.  When the onions are done, add the chicken back into the pan.  Let the mixture simmer.  While it is on simmer, puree the stewed tomatoes to a sauce.  Add the stewed tomato puree and the can of diced tomatoes.  Let simmer for about 20 minutes.  Add the hot pepper to taste (you can add Chinese hot garlic sauce instead of the hot pepper).

Serve with a crisp green salad and hot crusty bread because you will want to dip into the sauce. If you don't like things really hot and spicy, cut down on the chili peppers.  It will still be a wonderful dish.

Thanks for stopping in.
Ciao for now
Grayce

No comments:

Post a Comment