Wednesday, November 18, 2009

SALSICCIA E FAGIOLI (SAUSAGE AND BEANS)

Good morning everyone.  I have talked about my childhood and how we lived the first 6 or 7 years with my Grandparents.  Also that we ate things that were raised in the garden, chickens that they raised etc.  My Grandparents also made their own sausage, some hot and some sweet.  I can remember that it was the best sausage I have ever tasted.  Even as I got older my parents made most of the sausage that we ate.  If they didn't make it, someone else in the family did.  Either my Grandparents or one of my many uncles.  So we always had a variety of dishes made with sausage.  One of the favorites was made with fresh green beans out of the garden.  If we didn't have those they used Great Northern White beans, or even Red Kidney beans, to make this dish.  So here is the recipe.  Comfort food at it's best and tasty as well.

SALSICCIA E FAGIOLI

1 lb of sweet or hot Italian Sausage or a combo of both
2 tbls of olive oil
1/2 can (small) Contadina Tomato Paste
salt and pepper, a pinch of each
4 to 5 cups of Fresh Green beans cut in half
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup bean juice or water

Put the sausage in a skillet with enough water to cover.  Cook until the water evaporates and then cook for about 15 to 20 minutes until they are nice and brown all over.  Take them out and put them on a plate and cover with a piece of foil wrap to keep warm.  Add 2 to 3 tbls of olive oil to the pan, the tomato paste, and the salt and pepper.  Stir and cook for about 3 or 4 minutes.  Add the beans and liquid, and cook for 6 minutes or so.  Add the sausages and cook on low for about 15 minutes.  Stir occasionally.
Let the sauce thicken a little as it cooks.  Serve hot with plenty of hot crispy bread for dipping.

Although as I mentioned, you can use other beans, and most people use White or Kidney, we always liked it best with Green String Beans since that is what we had the most of fresh out of the garden.

Try it soon.  It is really delicious!

Thanks for stopping in today
Ciao for now
Grayce




No comments:

Post a Comment