Monday, November 9, 2009

CHICKEN A LA KING WITH BISCUITS

Hi again.  Welcome in today.  I don't know about you but one of my very favorite comfort foods that my Mom used to make was Chicken a la King.  Just thinking about it, I can almost taste it.  I have not had it for a long time and thinking about what recipe I should give you today, it popped up in my mind.  I can remember her in the kitchen, making the sauce, cutting up the chicken, adding all the rest and baking those wonderful flaky biscuits to go with it.  Everything smelled so good, and I loved how it tasted and how good we felt eating this wonderful dish.  I know that if you have ever had this you know what I am talking about.  And if you have never had it, make it soon and create some wonderful memories for your family.

CHICKEN A LA KING

1 small can of mushrooms
1 green pepper chopped fine
1 small jar of pimentos
1/2 cup of butter
1/2 cup of flour
1 1/2 cups of milk
1 1/2 cups of chicken stock (broth)
2 whole chicken breasts or 1 cooked chicken from the market
salt and pepper to taste

Make a roux of the butter and flour, slowly add the milk and the chicken stock.  Let it come to a boil, lower the heat and add the chicken which has been cut into cubes. In a small skillet melt 1 tbls of butter and add the chopped pepper, saute for two or three minutes.  Add to the Chicken mixture.  Add the mushrooms and the pimentos.  Cook over low heat for about 10 minutes.  In the meantime make your favorite biscuits.  When they are hot out of the over, split them in half and ladle the Chicken over the top. Absolutely wonderful!  Serve with a salad.

Your family will love this dish.  It is just one of those time favorite comfort foods.  Nothing fancy, just good old down home cooking.  Also, quick and easy.  Under 45 minutes to make.  (You can also use Pepperidge Farm Pastry Shells)

Try it soon.  Thanks for stopping in today.
Ciao for now
Grayce

1 comment: