Thursday, November 19, 2009

FRESH CRANBERRY RELISH

Good Morning everyone.  Since it is almost Thanksgiving I want to share with you one of my very favorite recipes for that day.  After we moved from living with my Grandparents, we moved into a flat.  My Mom's Sister and her husband lived upstairs and we lived down.  Aunt Grayce always did Thanksgiving and my Mom and Dad had Christmas, because Daddy made the home made Ravioli, (which I make even today). One of the best side dishes of the day is the Cranberry Relish.  I still make it.  The great thing about it is that you can make it on Sunday before turkey day and it will keep for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator. You need a grinder, hand or electric.  It is so simple.  What I like the best is it is great on leftover turkey sandwiches.  I guarantee that if you try it, it will always be on your table.

FRESH CRANBERRY RELISH

2 bags Ocean Spray Cranberries
2 whole Oranges
2 whole Apples
2 cups chopped Walnuts
Sugar to taste

Cut the Apples and Oranges into quarters.  Grind the Cranberries, Apples and Oranges (skins on).  Add the walnuts and sugar to taste.  That's it!

Everyone in my family loves this.  You can just sit and eat it and eat it.  And like I said it is amazing on your Turkey sandwiches.   The longer it sets the better.  Make it at least a day ahead so the sugar can meld with the fruit.  It is truly wonderful!  I hope you will try it this year.  If you have a small group you can use 1 bag, 1 apple and 1 orange and 1 cup of chopped walnuts.  You just need to have a grinder.  Most Stand Mixers have an attachment for this.

Thanks for stopping in today
Ciao for now
Grayce

Cut the Oranges and

2 comments:

  1. I am going to make this. Do I need a grinder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you need a grinder. You can use a hand grinder or an attachment to your standing mixer if you have one. It has to be ground up fine.

    ReplyDelete