Thursday, March 18, 2010

KATE'S FAVORITE "ANGEL FOOD CAKE"

I know it is still this week but I am going to give you a recipe that I am making next weekend.  We are celebrating 3 Birthdays here next Saturday.  Amy and George want my Chocolate Beet Cake (recipe on my blog), and Kate wants Angel Food Cake.  Now that may sound like (eh, plain old cake) to you, but you have not had MY version of Angel Food Cake. I have been making this cake for years because everyone really loves it.  It is fresh and so delicious.  I make it two different ways.  Both are included in my recipe today.

I used to make this for my daughter Linda's Birthday Parties when she was little, and now I am making it for her daughter.  God is good!

KATE'S FAVORITE "ANGEL FOOD CAKE"

1 Angel Food Cake (boxed or home made)
1 pint of Whipping Cream )Yum!)
1 pint of sliced Strawberries
Chocolate Ganache, (You will need 9 oz bittersweet chocolate squares and 1 cup of heavy cream)

Bake the cake according to directions.  Let it cool.  Carefully slice off about 1" of the top, lay aside.  With a sharp  knife gently cut about 1/2" from the outside of the cake all around and the same on the inside by the hole in the cake.  Gently remove about 2 inches of the cake all around leaving a shell to fill.
Whip one pint of cream with 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar until very stiff.  Add one cup of sliced berries.  Gently fill the cavity of the cake to the top.  Replace the top of the cake.  Frost the top with Chocolate Ganache, letting it run down the sides.

CHOCOLATE GANACHE:  9 ounces of Bittersweet Chocolate and 1 cup of heavy cream.  Break the chocolate up into pieces, put the cream in a saucepan and bring to a boil being careful not to burn it.  Pour it over the chocolate and with a whisk, whisk it until it is shiny and smooth.  Add 1 tsp of vanilla and whisk again to mix.  Set aside to cool for a few minutes then pour a little to frost the top.  Spread evenly.  Add more and let it run down the sides.  Soo good!

Sometimes, instead of the Ganache, I frost the whole cake with Whipped Cream.  Can I say how really great it is that way also.

Whichever way you frost the cake put strawberries with stems all around the bottom of the cake on the platter.

NOW THAT'S A BIRTHDAY CAKE!

Thanks for stopping in today
Ciao
Grayce

1 comment: