Monday, March 8, 2010

RIGATONI IN CREAM SAUCE W/ ASPARAGUS

Good morning everyone.  Well we got a break for Oscar night.  Yesterday was a beautiful, sunny day.  Must have rained last night because the ground is wet, but it is actually warm out this morning.  It means Spring is truly here.  Warm weather will come flooding into California and all will be right with Mother Nature.

I have told you before about my Grandmother's big Garden and how we literally lived off of the land.  This is almost the time of year when the Asparagus was really plentiful.  And when our first crop was ready to pick, today's recipe is the dish we would have to celebrate.  The "Asparago" are ready.  Time to enjoy!  So this is one of the first dishes with Asparagus that she would make.  Cheesy Rigatoni, (my personal favorite), cream and Asparagus.  When I was little, I called the Rigatoni, "Stovepipes", I thought that is what they looked like to me.  Anyway try it soon, it is truly delicious.  And again, so easy.

RIGATONI IN CREAM SAUCE WITH ASPARAGUS

8 to 10 stalks of trimmed Asparagus cut into 1" pieces
1/4 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese
3/4 cup heavy Cream
1 pound Rigatoni
Salt and pepper

Blanch the Asparagus in boiling water just for a minute or two until tender, crisp.  Quickly drain and put into ice water.  Drain.  In just about 1/2 tablespoon of butter, saute the Aspargus just to heat.  Remove from heat and set aside.  Cook pasta just until al dente.  Heat the cream until warm.  Drain the pasta, put into a large bowl, add the cream the cheese and asparagus and toss to make a creamy sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.  Serve hot.  Serve with a salad and hot bread.  Molte bene!

I think I will make this tonight.  It is truly one of my favorites and brings back so many warm, wonderful memories.  Make a Memory of your own with this dish for your family.

Thanks for stopping in today
Ciao
Grayce

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so good. I'm going to change my dinner plans and make this...Memory dish for me today is my Rebirth Day...4 years ago today I had my bone marrow transplant...yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Judi how wonderful! I wish you many more healthy years. You will love this dish.

    ReplyDelete