Tuesday, March 9, 2010

NONA'S BREAKFAST TREAT

Good morning everyone.  Looks like a sunny day in Southern California today.  Yippee!  If you have been reading my blog since the beginning, you know about my childhood and living in the big house with my Grandparents etc.  Breakfast was always a huge meal before my Dad and everyone went out selling the vegetables.  They had a long day ahead of them and they needed a good start.  So my Nona would be at the stove bright and early in the morning, way before I was up.  But the smells of what what she was cooking was all I usually needed to wake me up and get downstairs.  One of the most wonderful Breakfast's that she made is the recipe that I bring you today.  I don't know if she just made up these things or probably had them growing up herself.  She would make up a quick batch of simple sauce with tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil from the garden, some salt and pepper and cook it for about an hour while she got the potatoes ready.

NONA'S BREAKFAST TREAT

Thick slices of Italian bread toasted
Eggs
Sauce
Fresh Basil
Potatoes, onions, garlic, salt and pepper

She cut the potatoes in thick slices and fried them in a big skillet with the onions and garlic.  While the sauce and the potatoes were cooking she toasted the thick slices of bread in the oven.  You can use your own Marinara sauce or the recipe I have posted previously.

When the sauce and the potatoes were done, she lined up the toast, put some sauce on it and topped it with a fried egg, over easy.  She topped it with parmesan and some chopped basil.  Served with a side of the potatoes and hot coffee.  Then sent them out to sell the vegetables.

That my friends is a Breakfast!  Make it for your family some Saturday or Sunday morning.  Molte Bene!

Thanks for stopping in today
Ciao
Grayce

No comments:

Post a Comment