Monday, March 22, 2010

SAUTEED GREEN BEANS AND RADICCHIO

Good Morning everyone.  Today I am getting ready for a big Birthday Celebration this weekend.  We are having three Birthdays in one.  I am busy planning the menu and getting my shopping list ready.  My grand son Christopher asked me what we will have.  He is sixteen and always wants to know how I make things, what I am making, and loves to watch.  He loves to cook.  I keep telling him he should go to culinary school but he just wants to work on cars.  Maybe he will be the cook in his family.  His brother is a little interested in what I am cooking but only because he loves to eat.  He is more interested in getting ready to apply to the Railroad.  He graduates in June.

While I was planning the Saturday menu.  I thought about a recipe that my family always asked me to make.  I am not making it for the party but I thought it would be a good one to share with you today.  On second thought maybe I will make it for the party.

SAUTEED GREEN BEANS AND RADICCHIO

I used to make this with Yellow String Beans and Mustard Greens.  Years ago when I finally discovered Radicchio and it began being plentiful in the markets I started to use Green Beans.  I can't even remember how long ago that was.  Yikes!

Serves four as a side dish

About 8 to 10 oz of Green string beans
1 head of Radicchio
1/3 cup of Balsamic Vinegar
3 cloves of Garlic
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Snip the ends of the beans and leave them whole.  Blanch them in the water for 1 minute.  Remove immediately and plunge into ice water.  Drain on a paper towel.  In a large skillet, put 3 or 4 tablespoons of Olive Oil.  When hot put in the beans and saute just for about 2 minutes.  Add the sliced Garlic Cloves.  Cut the Radicchio into 1/4's and then 1/8's.  Add to the pan.  Add salt and pepper.  Add a little more Olive Oil to coat everything.  Saute until the Radicchio is nicely done and everything has a "crisp to it".  Don't overcook.

Great as a side dish with Chicken, Pork, Beef, even Fish.  I make it sometimes just as a meal for myself.

Thanks for stopping in today
Ciao
Grayce

P.S.

I am so sorry. I am making this for dinner right now and I realized I left out an ingredient.  In a small saucepan heat until reduced by half 1/3 cup of Balsamic vinegar.  When veggies are done and plated drizzle the Balsamic vinegar over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment