Wednesday, March 17, 2010

STUFFED FRENCH TOAST

Ahhhhh.  86 degrees in Mission Viejo yesterday.  All I can say is I'm in heaven.  And this morning looks just as beautiful.  In fact it is so nice I am fixing a wonderful breakfast to eat out on the Patio.  My very favorite thing to do.  So I am going to share my wonderful breakfast with you all.  Stuffed French Toast, one of my favorite things.  Also one of Linda's (my daughter) favorite things.  But then who doesn't like it.?  You can buy thick sliced bread at the market, but when I can, I go to a bakery, usually Panera, to get fresh French bread sliced thick.  Try this recipe at your house soon.  Perhaps this weekend.

STUFFED FRENCH TOAST

serve 4

Thick slices of Bread (your choice) 8 slices
3 eggs
1/3 cup of milk
Mascarpone, Ricotta, or Cream Cheese (8 oz)
1/4 cup of cream
1 tablespoon of powdered sugar
Zest of one Orange
Orange Marmalade (1 heaping tablespoon for each)

Beat the eggs and the milk together, add the zest from the orange (reserve 1 tsp). In a small bowl add the cheese.  Cheese should be at room temp.  Cream the cheese until very soft, add the cream and one tablespoon of powdered sugar, the tsp of orange zest and beat by hand or with your mixer until smooth.  Pick out a little of the bread from each slice to make a small pocket to put the filling into. Divide the filling into 1/4's and fill 4 of the slices of bread.  Add a heaping tablespoon of Orange Marmalade ( I make my own) to each of the four slices.  Cheese and marmalade should be about 1/8" from the edges.  Cover with the other slice of bread.  In a skillet melt 4 or 5 tablespoons of butter.  Gently dip the bread into the egg mixture on both sides.  Cook on one side until nicely browned, then turn and cook on the other side.  Remove from the pan and put one on each plate.  Cut in half and dust with powdered sugar.  Serve with a slice of orange and warm syrup.

 You can also use fresh sliced strawberries, blueberries, red raspberries, or blackberries.  Make one of each, cut in fourths and try them all.

If you are really hungry, you can add some bacon strips.  Make sure you have a hot cup of coffee or tea. It is so Yummy!  What a treat!

Thanks for stopping in today
Ciao
Grayce

No comments:

Post a Comment