Friday, March 26, 2010

THE SISTER'S CITY CHICKEN

Hi everyone.  Well I am up to my elbows today so I am writing this early.  Today I am giving you a recipe for City Chicken, which isn't Chicken at all.  Most of you young un's probably never even heard of this dish.  I only know of it because my Mom and My Aunt used to make it all the time.  I never see it anywhere, nor have I heard of anyone making it.  I have not made it for a long time myself.  But while thinking about what recipe I could give you today I remembered this wonderful treat.  I'm sure there are a lot of recipes for this dish but this is the way my family always made it for us.  I hope you will try it.  It will be something really different for your family.

THE SISTER'S CITY CHICKEN

Serves 4

Have your butcher cut the Pork and the Veal into 1" cubes.  You will need 3 Pork and 2 Veal for each serving.  So 12 Pork cubes and 8 Veal cubes.  You will need 4 thick wooden skewers (your butcher may have those).  Put one Pork cube, one Veal, one Pork, one Veal and one Pork on each skewer.  Salt and pepper them.  Dip them into beaten eggs (2 should do it), then into flour coating them very well.  Let them set in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes.  Remove from the refrigerator and wait 5 minutes.  In a large skillet put about 1/4 cup olive oil.  When hot turn the heat to medium and brown the "City Chicken" until nicely browned on all sides.  Place in a baking dish and add 1/2 cup of chicken broth.  Bake in the oven covered at 350 degrees until done.  About an hour. (about 15 minutes before being done remove cover and finish baking). Serve with buttered noodles or rice, and a nice green vegetable.  Wonderful!

This is how the Sister's made it (my Mom and my Aunt).  I think everyone will like it.  If you don't like Veal you can use all Pork.  But the two together are really great.

Have a wonderful weekend.
See you on Monday
Ciao
Grayce

No comments:

Post a Comment