Thursday, October 29, 2009

SWISS STEAK

Good morning.  Well it's that Fall feeling again.  I guess when the weather turns I just think of cooking different things.  And I will tell you it got plenty cold last night.  Who says California does not have Seasons?  Today I have a recipe that I am sure you have all had at one time or another.  My Grandmother and my Mother made this and it is truly one of the great all time comfort foods.  Swiss Steak with mashed potatoes, green beans and hot crusty bread.  Now who doesn't like that?  When my family all lived at home, they loved this dinner and I made it often.  Not only is it good but quite economical, and today being what it is financially for a lot of people, you can't miss with this meal.  Here is my Grandmother's and then my Mother's, and now my recipe.

SWISS STEAK

1 large round steak (as much as you need for your family) will feed four
flour
1 chopped green pepper
1 onion sliced
1 can chopped tomatoes

Cut the steak into serving sized pieces.  Salt and pepper each piece and then dredge in flour.  Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil in a chicken fryer or deep frying pan (that has a cover).  Brown the meat on both sides.  Add the tomatoes, onion, and green pepper.  Cover and cook on low heat until the meat is fork tender.
Make mashed potatoes and add 1/4 cup of Parmesan to them.  Cook the green beans till just crisp, dress with olive oil and vinegar, salt and pepper.  Spoon some of the juice from the meat over the potatoes.

I  have always liked this meal ever since I was a little girl.  My family always liked it too.  Try it soon.  It will be a hit with your family too.

That's it for today.
Ciao for now
Grayce

No comments:

Post a Comment