Thursday, October 8, 2009

BIF STROGANOV

Good morning everyone.  It seems that people are having a difficult time joining as followers, posting comments etc.  That is very discouraging, since the only way to get advertisers to sponsor the blog is that they can see how many people are looking in everyday.  Some people can't get their picture into the spot either.  Why do they make these things so difficult?  If anyone has the answer on the how to for this blog, maybe you could post it on Facebook or leave a comment for others.  I get e-mails from those that know me, but it would be great to hear what others have to say.  Anyway, Jennifer, one of the faithful, asked yesterday for a recipe for BEEF (BIF) STROGANOV.  That was gratifying to see, and it just happens to be one of my favorites.  When I was just 19, I made one of the most expensive purchases of my life.  I bought a 2 book set of GOURMET cookbooks.  They are each over 700 pages long leather bound and imprinted in gold.  I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I got them.  Everyone thought I was crazy to spend that kind of money on cookbooks.  But the recipes are amazing.  I still treasure those books to this day.  And make a lot of the recipes.  So for Jennifer and all of you that love good food, here is the recipe.

BIF STROGANOV
2 1/2 to 3 pounds of top sirloin of beef or filet mignon (must be a good cut of meat)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
6 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoon flour
2 cups beef bouillon
2 tsp hot mustard (Grey Poupon)
3 or 4 small onions sliced as thinly as possible
6 tablespoons Knudsen sour cream, at room temp
1 lb of Barilla Fettuccine

Remove all fat and gristle from meat.  Cut into narrow strips 2" long 1/2" thick.  Sprinkle meat strips with the salt and pepper.  Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter.  Blend in flour.  Stir in bouillon and bring to boil.  Stir in mustard.  Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and smooth.  Heat remaining butter in a Wok or a large fry pan.  The butter must be very hot.  Brown the meat and onions quickly on all sides.  Add sour cream to mustard sauce.  Add the sauce to the meat and onions.  Cover pan and keep hot for 20 minutes, on the very lowest setting, or on a hot plate set over lowest possible heat.  The mixture must be kept hot, but must not simmer.  Before serving, heat through over high heat for about three minutes.  Serve over buttered Fettuccine. (Cook the pasta while keeping the meat warm)

(If you put the meat into the freezer for 15 minutes it will be easier to slice)

The flavor of this dish is so incredible.  When my 3 children lived at home, I made this often.  It is really a simple yet elegant dish.  Let me know how you like it Jennifer.  I hope more of you will try this and leave your comments.

Thanks for stopping by.
Ciao for now.
Grayce

6 comments:

  1. Now you have gone and done it. This has to be one of the best dishes I have ever eaten. I LOVE this meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leather bound & imprinted in gold cook books?! wow! Thank you for this recipe... I will make it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no one that is less computer literate than I am but here's what works for me. First, I created a Google Account. It's easy to do, the user name is my email address, and I selected a password. Then, on this site where it says "Select Profile", I select "Google Account". Then I compose my comments and hit "Post Comment. It comes back with "request could not be processed, please try again". I hit "Post Comment" again and it gives me that goofy word with the funny letters, which I type in and (see next comment)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and then I hit "Post Comment" again and my comment is published.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how to cook but at least I can comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did finally make this recipe Grayce! It was delicious... thank you :)

    ReplyDelete