Wednesday, October 28, 2009

SWEET POTATO STUFFED ORANGES

AHA! Can you tell that I am in Fall mode?  Almost the end of October and my mind immediately shifts into a different mode as far as cooking goes. It's not too warm to turn on the oven, so you start to cook differently.  (even though it is going to be 86 degrees here in a day or two), but for now, I'm thinking Fall. Colored leaves, Pumpkins, crisp Apples, Apple Cider, lots of baked goodies, you get the drift.  Today I have a recipe for you that I always make for Thanksgiving, Oranges stuffed with Sweet Potatoes.  Can I tell you just how yummy they are?  You can make them anytime, they are so easy, but at our house they are a Thanksgiving staple, along with the Sweet Potato casserole that my daughter makes.  So, here is the recipe.

SWEET POTATO STUFFED ORANGES

You can bake your own Sweet Potatoes or use 1 of the large cans of Potatoes (drained).  That will make 4 to 6.

3 oranges cut in half (extra large Navel)*
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
heavy cream
butter
(3/4 stick melted)
1/4 cup brown sugar
Rum
Whip the potatoes as you would for mashed potatoes, add the spices and the melted butter and the brown sugar.  Then add enough cream just to make them smooth but not runny.  Add 3 tbls of Rum (not rum extract, Rum)
Hollow out the oranges and spoon the sweet potatoes into the halves, piling up high. Top with 1/2 Pecan piece.  Bake at 350 degrees until hot.
*My sister bakes them in little Pumpkins for variety

I guarantee that once you make these, you will make them again, and you may make them part of your Thanksgiving Dinner too.

They are definitely a crowd pleaser.


Well, until tomorrow,
Ciao for now
Grayce

2 comments:

  1. Oh, now you've done it. One of the best parts of Thanksgiving dinner. I'm salivating already.

    It would be nice if the Raiders could win a game before Thanksgiving. Oh well....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a prime rib and lobster day!!!

    ReplyDelete