Monday, October 19, 2009

BREAD SALAD

Hi everyone.  Back to the old grind as they say.  Kids off to schools, adults off to work.  The hustle and bustle of everyday life.  I told you about my childhood in the beginning of my blog days.  Today I want to share a recipe from those days that I still make today.  Bread Salad or Panzanella.  My Grandmother used to make it with all the fresh vegetables from the garden and the day old bread, (when there was any left over).  She would put in fresh, ripe juicy tomatoes, onions, peas, olives, whatever there happened to be at the time.  There really wasn't a "recipe" as such, more of "what do we have?"  I just know that I could have eaten all of it myself.  With a piece of fish, chicken, beef or pork you have a satisfying meal.  Here is how I make it today.

BREAD SALAD

3 cups of day old Italian bread cut into large cubes
4 or 5 tomatoes (use red, heirloom, ) cut into pieces
1/2 cup black olives
1 can artichoke hearts cut in half
2 or 3 stalks of celery cut into pieces
1 red onion cut into thin slices
about 1/2 bunch bunch Italian flat leaf parsley rough chopped
some fresh basil rough chopped
2 cloves of fresh garlic minced
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 white wine vinegar or whatever you prefer
salt and pepper to taste

Put the bread chunks on a cookie sheet and into the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, just until slightly browned.  Mix all the vegetables together, add the bread and mix, add the dressing, mix together and serve immediately.

This is a wonderful, hearty salad.  Full of flavor.  It can stand on it's own for a light lunch.  I know if you try it once you will make it often.  Use your imagination.  Add whatever you like.  There are no mistakes to this one.  This is just how I remember my Grandmother making it for us.

Have a great day, and thanks for stopping by.
Ciao for now.
Grayce

No comments:

Post a Comment