Friday, October 9, 2009

FRESH BERRY TART

Good morning.  Glad you stopped by today.  I don't know about you but I am ready to make a nice dessert with some fresh berries before the season for these delectable offerings is over.  Fresh berries are so great and you can do so much with them.  We are still getting fresh Strawberries, Blueberries and Raspberries.  Also some really wonderful Peaches.  The Peaches have been especially sweet and juicy this year.  I don't know how far Trader Joe's stores reach, but here in California they are pretty much everywhere, and they have had the best Peaches ever all season.  Today I am giving you a recipe for a berry tart.  I got it out of a magazine years and years ago.  I used to make it all the time for the kids, because it is really easy.  I am going to make it this weekend.  It's just time for some sweets!

FRESH BERRY TART

Crumb Crust
1 cup almonds (about 5 ounces)
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 sticks of cold butter cut into small pieces

Filling
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbls cornstarch
2 pints of your favorite berries or mix them up

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spread nuts in a baking pan.  Roast the nuts and stir once in awhile so they don't burn.  Bake them for about 10 minutes just till lightly browned.  Remove nuts from the oven and set aside.  Increase the temp. to 450 degrees.  In a food processor , process the nuts until finely ground, about 10 seconds.  If you don't have a food processor use your blender. (Make sure you don't process or blend too long, you want the nuts to be crumbly not form into a paste).  In a bowl, mix the nuts, flour and sugar.  Cut the butter into the mixture until coarse crumbs form.  Pour half of the this into the bottom and sides of the tart pan.  Use your fingers to press into the bottom and sides of the pan.  In a bowl mix the sugar and cornstarch.  Gently fold in the berries.  Spoon the mixture into the crust and gently spread evenly. Sprinkle the berries with the rest of the crumb topping.  Bake until the topping is golden and filling is bubbly.  About 30 minutes.  Cool for 10 minutes and serve with Vanilla Ice Cream, Whipped Cream or just plain.  Absolutely Yummy!  and so easy.  You could also use Peaches or Plums.

That's it for today.  Have a great weekend.  I am in Heaven.  My Yankees are in the playoffs, so I am getting my fill of sports this weekend.  Baseball and Football  What a weekend!

Ciao for now.
Grayce

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about this recipe, I'm taking it up to my son's this weekend and will 'wow' them! Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love it and it is so easy. You can also use Hazelnuts or walnuts

    ReplyDelete