Monday, October 26, 2009

FILET OF SOLE


Hi everyone.  What a weekend! Well, to start off with, I don't know how many of you have known about my pineapple, but 2 1/2 years ago I took the top of a pineapple and planted it in a big pot.  For two years it grew and grew but no pineapple.  After 2 years I noticed something deep in the center and a little over six months later it had grown into an amazing big pineapple.  (pictured above)  This weekend I cut it off and took it to my daughters where we cut it open and ate it.  It was juicy and as sweet as sugar.  It was the most amazing pineapple I ever ate in my life.  But can you imagine?  It takes 2 1/2 years to grow 1 pineapple and each plant gives only one.  Sometimes it may give two.  Just think of the rotation they have in Hawaii to keep us in pineapples.  I can hardly believe it.  The best part of this whole experience was,  that no one thought it would grow.  My son Ed, works for Chiquita Fresh, and all the guys in the pineapple part of the Company said there was no way I could grow one.  Well they don't know me.  So if you have the patience, try twisting the top off of your next pineapple and give it a try.  It was very exciting to say the least. (Also my Yankees won the Pennant!) Just a footnote :-)

Well let's get to today's recipe.  It is so simple and I know that even someone who is not a fish eater will love this.

Filet of Sole
egg wash
lemon
White Wine
butter
 olive oil
salt and pepper

Beat an egg and put into a pie dish, salt and pepper the filets and dip into the egg wash on both sides.  Saute quickly in the mixture of  1/2 olive oil and 1/2 unsalted butter.  Remove from pan and cover with a piece of foil (just lay the foil over the top).  Add 1/4 stick of butter and 1/2 cup White wine and juice of 1 lemon to the drippings in the pan. Cook until it reduces and thickens a little, spoon quickly over the fish and sprinkle with slivered almonds.  Serve with Asparagus and roasted little red potatoes.

Cut the Asparagus into 2" pieces and saute quickly in a little olive oil and garlic.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Roast the Potatoes in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes.  Put them into a shallow baking dish and toss with a little olive oil just to coat, salt and pepper, slivered garlic and some Herbs de Provence.
A meal fit for a King!  Delicious and healthy.

I am going to plant another Pineapple today.  Give it a try.  It was so worth the effort.

Ciao for now
Grayce

2 comments:

  1. It takes so much time to make any money growing pineapples in Hawaii, that Dole planted marijuana plants instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on your baby pineapple :)

    ReplyDelete