Wednesday, October 21, 2009

PUMPKIN RAVIOLI

Good morning.  Well I am still looking for my Brownie recipe.  I want to get it to you all so you can try it on the weekend.  In the meantime I am going to give you a recipe that I first had in a Restaurant in Northern Italy a few years ago.  Pumpkin Ravioli.  I really did not have a recipe but when I came home I put one together with good results.  Since then I have had them at a couple of different restaurants in Los Angeles and have seen them being prepared on The Food Network by two or three different chefs.  I have not tried their recipes, because my family and myself included are happy with the way I make them.  So today I impart to you my recipe.  Very simple but so delicious they really do make your mouth water.  I am making them for dinner Friday night.

2 cups of cooked pumpkin (I used canned) or 2 cups of cooked squash (you can buy it already peeled and cubed at your local market.
6 tablespoons of cream
1/2 tsp of nutmeg
salt and pepper
1 1/2 sticks of butter (unsalted)
6 sage leaves
pasta sheets or wonton wrappers or make your own pasta

Add the cream to the pumpkin (or squash puree'), cook in a saucepan over low heat to cook away some of the moisture.  Add the nutmeg and let cool.  If you use wontons*, (the small size) put about a tsp of the mixture in each, brushing the edges all around with water, fold over to make a triangle and press them down to seal.  If you make your own pasta dough (or use sheets from your specialty market) add a full tsp to each and cut with your ravioli cutter or a knife and then seal the edges pressing down with a fork.  To make your own pasta, 2 cups of flour, 1 egg and enough water to form the dough, knead it until shiny and elastic and roll into sheets.  Fill as directed above.  Drop into boiling water and cook just until they float to the top.  Cook a minute more.  In the meantime melt the butter until it just begins to brown, drop in the sage leaves and cook just for about 20 seconds or so.  Remove ravioli from the water, draining well, and toss them into the pan with the butter and sage.  Coat them evenly and serve immediately.

They are so amazing, I know your whole family will really love them.  Some specialty markets may carry Pumpkin Ravioli.  But they are so easy to make, especially if you buy the pasta or use the wontons, that it is more economical to do so.  And you know what you are getting.  I am a big proponent of "making your own".
*wanton raviolis cook in just a couple of minutes

Try them this weekend for something different.  Thanks for stoppping in today.
Ciao for now
Grayce

2 comments: