Friday, October 23, 2009

CHOCOLATE KICKS

YIPEE! YEA! HOORAY!  My blog site is working AND I found the Brownie recipe in with all my Christmas Cookie recipes.  To quote the author, "there's a recipe around for chocolate brownies: a dry, pale brown thing that really has no resemblance to this dark, fudgy, moist delight."  And she  (Edna McHugh) is absolutely right.  I have been making this recipe since 1971.  There is a little book called "Chocolate Kicks and other recipes for the Chocolate Addict."  The recipes all have Hippie Era names.  And of course, I am the biggest Hippie of them all.  The Sixties Rule!  Anyway, I digress.  I am also a "make it from scratch" person."  Even if you are a run around crazy Mom or a working Mom, you must try this Brownie recipe at least once.  Make it on the weekend.  And.....once you do, watch out, you will be doing it again.  Okay, enough of that, here then is the recipe.

CHOCOLATE KICKS

5 squares unsweetened chocolate
1/4 lb of butter
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
4 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
1 tbls vanilla
1 cup sifted all purpose flour

Set oven at 325 degrees.  Grease a 9" square pan.  Melt chocolate butter and shortening together over hot water or on a very low flame.  Mix thoroughly, let cool slightly.  Beat eggs with salt till light.  Add sugar gradually and beat till creamy.  Add chocolate mixture and vanilla.  Fold in well.  Add flour all at once.  Beat till smooth.  Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or till done  (DO NOT OVER BAKE)  Cut into small squares while hot.

That's it.  The recipes in this book are all so awesome, Chocolate Joints, Chocolate Weeds, Chocolate Hippies, Chocolate Far Outs.  You get the drift.  I will be bringing you more of them as time goes by.  There are recipes for Cakes, Pies, and Misc. Jazz.  All of them noteworthy to say the least.

When you taste these Brownies, these moist, mouth watering chewy delights, I guarantee you will take the time to make them often.

PEACE!

Ciao
Grayce

2 comments:

  1. Well, I have to comment on the brownies. I have eaten them. With a glass of milk, these brownies are all you need to eat, EVER. I have had them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If heaven exists, don't worry about the little angels playing harps, just ask if they have these brownies up there. If they don't, my advice is to make other plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 tablespoon vanilla? sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete