Monday, December 21, 2009

ALMOND ROCA

Oh my gosh!  Just a few days before Christmas.  Today I will be out delivering some of the cookies that I baked on Saturday.  I made eight different kinds.  Baked all day.  Listening to my favorite tunes and just baking away.  Delivered some that night and then my dearest friend Bonnie came over (we have been friends since 1972).  We exchanged gifts and then she took me out to dinner. (she almost always does that since I don't eat while I bake and am starving when she gets here).  I packed up cookies for her and some for her daughter Stacy in San Francisco, as she will be going there for the Holiday.  Also some of the Almond Roca.  This recipe is to die for.  Once you take a bite you cannot stop eating.  So melt in your mouth Yummy.  Please try it this year.  It is truly a Winner.

ALMOND ROCA
 4 sticks butter
2 cups packed brown sugar (measure accurately)
9 Hershey bars (the regular thin size)
Chopped Almonds

Melt the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan.  Stir just to mix.  When candy thermometer reaches 200 degrees THEN start stirring and don't stop (even for a second to scratch your nose :) ) until the thermometer reaches 300 degrees.  Immediately place thermometer in water or mixture will stick.
Pour mixture onto parchment lined cookie sheet.  Place Hershey bars on top and let melt.  Gently spread out over the mixture.  Top with the nuts.  When cool and chocolate is hardened, break into pieces.  It will make at least 5 or 6 six gift packages (or all for you).  Wrap 6 pieces in parchment and then put into cellophane gift bags.  Tie tightly with ribbon.  What a great treat for your friends.  Or if you made it for your family, line a tin with parchment and cover tightly.  It will keep.  That is if you all don't eat it immediately.  BEWARE!  Once you take a bite of this candy, you cannot stop eating.  It is truly amazing.

I hope you will make this Almond Roca.  Your family and friends will love it as much as mine do.

Thanks for stopping in today.
Ciao
Grayce

No comments:

Post a Comment