Friday, December 11, 2009

BISCOTTI

It's raining this morning and outside of having to take the puppies out , I don't mind because I will be baking Pizzelles and Biscotti all day.  So it is a good day to do all that.

When I was a little girl we always had these two cookies for Christmas, and when I was very little, my biggest treat was being able to dip the end of the Biscotti into my Mother's coffee.  And sometimes into the glass of Red Wine.  Yum!  Dessert during the Holidays with all the family, and there were plenty of us, was always fruit and a huge bowl of all kinds of nuts, and a glass of wine.  That went on for hours after the meal, everyone just sitting around and talking. I would eventually get tired and just go play with my sister and my cousins, but the adults spent the evening at the table.  What great times those were and I miss them.  I am lucky though, because most of my family will be here for Christmas.  In fact I will have 16 family and friends for Christmas dinner.  How lucky for me!

 I have had this recipe for a long time.  It is simple.  You can add all kinds of nuts, flavorings, fruit, whatever that you like.

BASIC BISCOTTI

2 eggs
1 stick of room temp butter (not margarine)
about 2/3 cup sugar
2 cups of flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
a couple pinches of salt
3/4 cup Almond slivers
1/2 tsp Almond  extract

In a bowl put the flour, salt and baking powder.  Mix.  In another bowl beat the sugar and the butter.  Add the eggs and beat. Add the Almond extract.  Add the flour mixture a little at a time.  Beat just until it is mixed.  With a spoon mix in the almonds.
Now some variations.  I love orange and chocolate, for these add 3/4 cup of mini Chocolate chips, zest of one whole orange and 1 tsp of the juice. (or 1 tsp of Grand Marnier which is what I use).
Another favorite, 2/3 cup Orange flavored Cranberries (dried) with 1/2 cup slivered Almonds.
Another favorite, 1 1/2 tsp of finely chopped Anise seeds and 3/4 cups slivered Almonds.
Another favorite, 3/4 cup chopped Hazelnuts and 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips.

Be creative and make your own combinations.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
I use a Silpat on my cookie sheets, or line them with Parchment Paper. On a floured surface, form the dough into a 15 to 16 inch log (does not have to be exact).  Pat it out be about 3 - 3 1/4 inches wide.  Like a big flat log.  Gently place it on the cookie sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes or until it is lightly browned on top.  Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.  At least 25 to 30 minutes.  Put the log on your cutting surface and gently cut into 1/2" thick cookies.  (I cut them slightly on a diagonal).  Put them back on the cookie sheet and bake until lightly browned, about 15 to 18 minutes.
Remove from the oven and put on a cooling rack.  Pack in a tight container between sheets of Parchment paper and they will keep for a very long time.  Put 6 to 8 into a Christmas cellophane bag, tie with a ribbon and give as gifts.  For very special friends you can put the cookies with a pound of their favorite coffee.  Who wouldn't love that!

That's it for today, have to brave the rain and get the puppies outside.
Ciao
Grayce

No comments:

Post a Comment