Wednesday, December 2, 2009

LINGUINI WITH CLAMS

Hi and good morning!  One of my very favorite dishes that I grew up with is Linguini with Clams.  There are many different versions of this dish, some with a white sauce, some with a red sauce.  But the way my parents and grandparents made it is the only way that I like it.  Or I should say, it is the way I like it the best.  It is also the most simple to make.  Since a lot of these recipes have not been written down, my sister and I still make them from memory.  I could eat this dish everyday.  Sometimes when I have company for dinner, I will make this as my first plate of a 5 course meal.  I hope you will try it soon. It is hearty and satisfying.  Have lots of hot garlic bread to go with it.  And a glass of chilled, crisp white wine.

LINGUINI WITH CLAMS
Serves 4

1 lb Barilla Linguini
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 or 3 shallots sliced very thin (my Dad used Cippolini onions or some good onion sliced very thin if there were no shallots)
8 cloves of chopped garlic
40 to 50 Manila clams (you want at least 10 per person) scrub them so that there is no sand left
3/4 to 1 cup of a good Dry White Wine
unsalted butter salt and pepper
chopped Italian Parsley

Put a pot on to cook your Pasta.  When the water boils add the Linguini and cook as directed, JUST UNTIL AL DENTE.  Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.  When it is very hot add the shallots and the garlic and saute, but don't burn, just until tender. Add the wine and the clams and cover.  Cook until the clams have all opened up (about 7 minutes.  If there are any unopened throw them out.  Add two to three tablespoon of unsalted butter to the clams along with the chopped parsley.  Drain the Linguini (never rinse your pasta) and quickly add to the clams.  Pour it all out into your large platter or serving bowl.  Garnish with a little more chopped parsley and serve immediately.  MANGIA!

Tip:  Always use the same Wine to cook with that you drink.  Good cooking, good wine.

Thanks for stopping in today
Ciao for now
Grayce

2 comments: