Wednesday, December 9, 2009

LENA'S COOKIES

Baking has started.  As I said yesterday, I start baking the cookies that keep for weeks.  Pizzelles, Biscotti, Lena's cookies.  And they are the ones that are so good when you just want to take a moment, sit down, relax, have a cookie and coffee break for yourself.  And believe me, this is the time of the year when you need to take a minute and do just that.  I am going to be giving you cookie recipes that I make for Christmas, pretty much every other day for the next couple of weeks.  Some you may already have.  And maybe you will find a new one here.  So today, here is one that my Grandmother made, my Mom made and my Sister and I make.  It is a great one to dip in your coffee.  Also so easy.

LENA'S COOKIES

5 cups sifted flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup Crisco
4 large eggs
5 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup water
1 tsp of your favorite flavoring: Anise, Almond, Lemon or Orange.

Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Cut in shortening until it is like large pea texture.  Add eggs and flavoring and water.  Mix well.  (best to use your hands)

Pick off pieces and shape into an "S".  Let stand for a few minutes.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes until golden.  YUMMMMM dip in coffee and dream of being in Italy.  (that's what I do)

These are really wonderful and will keep well.  Try them this Christmas for your family and friends.

Ciao for now
Grayce

No comments:

Post a Comment