Tuesday, December 15, 2009

GRAYCE'S CAPONATA

Hi everyone.  Today's recipe is my version of a Holiday staple that my Mother's Mother always made.  Christmas just was not Christmas without Caponata.  I have told you before that everyone in my family were great cooks.  I started writing recipes down when I was about 12 years old.  Mostly just the ingredients because no one used a recipe, everyone just knew how to make everything.  Which is pretty much how I do it today.  Most of the family recipes that I give you are from memory.  And sometimes I have to think to be sure of the amounts.  Today's recipe is how I remember it.  I made it several times adjusting here and there until it tasted just perfect and then I wrote it down to pass on to family and friends and now all of you.  After all I can't just say well, put in this much eggplant and just this much vinegar etc. etc.  Now it is refined and turns out perfect every time.  If you make this one time, I will guarantee that you will make it again and again.  It is that good.

GRAYCE'S CAPONATA

1/2 cup olive oil
2 large eggplants diced
1 large onion diced
6 small portabello mushrooms sliced thin
1 green bell pepper diced
1/2 jar roasted red peppers cut into pieces
3 chopped garlic cloves
1 small jar green olives with piemento chopped
1/2 small jar capers
1 small can Contadina tomato paste
1 can (tomato paste can) of water
2 tbls red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Heat oil in a large skillet over med heat.  Add eggplant, onions, mushrooms, peppers and garlic and cook stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes.  Stir in rest of the ingredients and mix well.  Reduce heat to low and cover and simmer for at least another 1/2 hour.  Put into 1/2 quart jars that have been washed, and dried.  When cool, refrigerate.  Will keep for a couple of weeks.

Serve at ROOM TEMP. with slices of french baguette.  What an appetizer!  Also great on sandwiches.  I hope you will try this.  It is really amazing.

Thanks for stopping in today
Ciao
Grayce

No comments:

Post a Comment