Tuesday, December 15, 2009

BAKED ZUCCHINI

Good morning everyone.  Another beautiful day in sunny California.  Forcast: getting warmer.  That's what I like to hear.  Warmer days and colder nights.  Perfect December weather.  I just read an article yesterday online about the calorie count of some of the appetizers that are served at certain Restaurants in the area.  Well let me tell you, I almost fell off of my chair.  Some of those things have more calories in one serving than a body should have in two days.  Good grief.  It makes one never want to eat in a Restaurant again.  Anyway, one of my very favorite things are fried Zucchini with Ranch Dressing.  Yummy.  I was thinking about those when I read the article.  Then I wondered how many calories they must have.  Which in turn brought me to remember how my grandmother used to sometimes make the Zucchini from our garden.  Yep, you guessed it, here comes today's recipe.  She used to make it and then have a big salad with crusty bread and that was a great Friday meal.  (Remember when as Catholics you could not eat meat on Friday?)

So today my offering to you:

BAKED ZUCCHINI

1 large onion
3 or med sized Zucchini
4 Roma tomatoes
3/4 cup bread crumbs (Progresso seasoned are great)
1 tbls of fresh Rosemary roughly chopped
2 or 3 cloves of garlic minced very fine
1/2 cup freshly grated Romano Cheese
Olive oil

Cut the ends off of the Zucchini and cut them in half lengthwise, then cut each half in half lengthwise again.  Set aside.  In a skillet with a little olive oil saute the onion that has been thinly sliced.  When just tender remove to a baking dish and spread out over the bottom.  Arrange the Zucchini so they are resting against each other in the baking dish in one layer. Slice the tomatoes into rounds and fit them in between the Zucchini slices.  Mix the Bread Crumbs, Cheese, Garlic and Rosemary together.  Sprinkle this mixture over the Zucchini and the Tomatoes.  Drizzle generously over all with Olive Oil.  Bake uncovered in a 325 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the Zucchini are just tender and the Bread Crumb mixture is nicely browned.

This is a really wonderful way to fix Zucchini.  Try it soon.

See you tomorrow
Ciao
Grayce

No comments:

Post a Comment