Thursday, December 10, 2009

PIZZELLES

Hi everyone.  Well today I am on a "Pizzelle" making marathon.  For those of you who have never had one of these amazing cookies, they are made on an iron and are thin , crispy waffle type cookies.  I have had them every Christmas since the day I was born.  My Grandmother made them, both my parents made them, all my aunts and uncles made them and my sister and I make them today.  Not only are they a family tradition, but they keep for weeks and I challenge anybody to eat just one.  It just would not be Christmas without them.  When my parents were making them when I was little, they had an iron that made just one.  You held it over the flame on the stove and cooked it on one side and then the other.  They called them "Hail Mary" cookies because you said a Hail Mary while one side cooked and another for the other side and then they were done.  Fortunately, when I was just married, there came on the market Electric Pizzele irons that make two at a time.  Now it takes just one Hail Mary and they are done.  So to make these buy a good electric Pizzelle iron.  They are not very expensive.  They will last forever and you will begin baking a tradition at your house.

PIZZELLES

3 eggs
2 or 3 tsp Anise extract
2 tsp baking powder
1 3/4 to 2 cups of flour
1/2 cup melted butter
3/4 cup of sugar

Beat the eggs and sugar.  Add the cooled melted butter and anise extract.  Combine the flour and baking powder and add that to the mixture.  The batter should be stiff enough to be dropped by a spoon.  When your iron is hot drop  a tsp of the batter in the center of the iron.  One Hail Mary or 15 seconds, open and gently lift off the iron with the end of a fork.  They are pliable at this point.  Put on a cooling rack and in just seconds they will become crispy.  Pack between sheets of Parchment Paper in a tightly covered container.  They will literally keep for weeks.  One batch will make 28 to 30 cookies.  They are "Christmas" at our house.  A great cookie for coffee or a glass of Red Wine.

Thanks for stopping in today
Ciao
Grayce

No comments:

Post a Comment